Monday, May 2, 2011

What Does My Lack of Motivation Mean?

A lack of motivation can often seem to be caused by laziness or procrastination at first glance, but looks can often be deceiving! If you’re struggling to stay motivated about working on your goals or any other endeavor, a little introspection can be just the thing you need to provide clarity and insight about what’s really happening beneath the surface.
Grab a sheet of paper and a pen, and answer the questions below:


1. Am I afraid of failing?


Fear of failure is an all-too-common reason why people lose motivation. If this is one of the reasons you’re holding back, you’ll likely be able to come up with clear ideas why you feel so afraid. For example, you may write, “I’m afraid of embarrassing myself in front of my family and friends,” or “I’m afraid I’ll be really disappointed in myself if I don’t make this happen.” Whatever comes to mind, write it down and then really think about whether it would be so terrible to experience – or if it would be much worse to not try at all.


2. Do I really believe in my own ability to persevere until I make it?


Likewise, you may be feeling uncertain about your ability to overcome obstacles and challenges, which is slightly different than a fear of failure. For example, you may have a certain measure of confidence in your skills and abilities but doubt that you have the determination and fortitude to achieve the full outcome you desire.


3. Have I grown bored with the goals that once meant so much to me?


This is an excellent question to ask because sometimes you’re not aware that your priorities and preferences have changed, and you can gain a lot of clarity by understanding what you REALLY want. If you do find that you’ve lost interest in your initial goals, you simply need to come up with some new and exciting goals that will spark your eagerness to move forward again.


4. Am I afraid of what it might mean if I succeed?


Another common fear is the fear of success. A fear of success is more about fearing the baggage that often comes along with success. You may feel nervous about taking on extra responsibility, feel overwhelmed by the increased attention your success would bring, or you might even be worried that you’ll never be able to “top” this level of success in the future. The only way to work through these fears is to discredit them. When you break them down and really examine them, you usually find that they’re groundless or irrational, which helps you to move past them.


5. What would make me feel more motivated about this goal or activity?


Sometimes you can’t find any clear reason for feeling unmotivated, but asking this question can often help you feel more in control of your own willingness to take action. Not only do you realize that you’re not powerless against a lack of motivation, you may come up with creative ideas that could inspire your sense of enthusiasm again.

60 comments:

  1. Great Post totally Agree with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literally ALL of those apply to me.....+1 follower for crushing my self esteem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those phrases facepalm'd me : /

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is true. I am my own worst enemy.

    You might like my blog post on The Pomodoro Technique, it has helped me accomplish more in less time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its true... I'm really lazy although I try to work hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting read, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good read! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never really gave it too much thought. I always just assumed I was lazy because it was easier. a3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes it's depression...

    ReplyDelete
  11. i answered positive to all of those questions and I think I manage to stay motivated throughout tasks. very good post, makes you think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad I found this blog. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! My lack of motivation is the fact that I don't give a crap. I like your blog, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, that rainbow pic is hilarious XD

    TASTE THE RAINBOW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great stuff! Thanks for this cool talk mate> :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I lack motivation for different reasons than these. actually its more procrastination for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I could find more motivation. I hate when I see people that do like 20 things a day everyday. It feels like I'm wasting life away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never had these issues, but this helps me to motivate others.

    I usually just scream at them "BIT MORE THEN YOU CAN CHEW AND CHEW IT!"

    It doesn't work all the times :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Im still trying to work out my lack of motivation, but I will definately give these reasons some thought, thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know what you mean. I can hardly ever get motivated when it comes to certain things. Its tough.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting, i think motivation is caused by a want/need for something and until you get what you dream of, you are always motivated to reach it. However the scale of your motivation to achieve such goals will change based on a lot of things, self confidence, if you were bullied ever and many other factors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. good post; money keeps me motivated :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very informative post. Fear of success I know myself very well. Keep up the good work sir!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good read, in my opinion it's all about the will to do something :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice post, got me asking myself the same questions

    ReplyDelete
  26. Unfortunately I struggle with keeping myself fully motivated all the time. Not really out of fear or failing though, but just lack of seeing the benefit at the end for me work? It's hard to explain really and has plagued me for as long as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hear the meth really motivates, as long as your cool with no teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This new generation seems to suffer from low motivation a lot... I feel your pain, my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was quite inspirational! I'm gonna remember this whenever I feel like procrastinating!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Interesting read, I think we all suffer when lack of motivation from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Seeing this written down makes a lot of sense. Sometimes it's hard to translate these thoughts into actions though.

    ReplyDelete
  32. very helpful, I am a hardcore procrastinator...

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm afraid of succeeding... oh god yes. I set myself up to fail so much. Good write up man.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think these things all the time, good post

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, way to describe me. Great, albeit creepy post!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very insightful, hits right at home. Gonna remember these words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  37. True. *gone for motivation*

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is extremely accurate. I think a lot of people can relate, I know I sure do.

    ReplyDelete
  39. this was an interesting read as i'm suffering from a lack of motivation too at the moment :/

    ReplyDelete
  40. I feel like that sometimes, maybe because I'm becoming really lazy xD

    ReplyDelete
  41. Pretty helpful post, I've been kinda struggling with unmotivation for the last 2 years
    +following

    ReplyDelete
  42. i agree with @wazabiii ive been stuggling for awhile now i like this post

    ReplyDelete
  43. My motivation is lacking. I'll try this out and see if it helps. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think we just have to push ourselves harder to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  45. lol great post, i feel the same way. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  46. that is one awesome article. there's so much i can relate. ._.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Man, i can relate ! haha, im lazy as fuck sometimes, its crazy. Can't even get out of bed/off sofa/out of chair/insert comfy object with me in it/ etc

    followed! Check out my blog to! Its about generally just awesome stuff! Follow please! www.awesomeexposed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. this blog needs a refresh

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have a habit of napping in the afternoon after work. I get so drowsy I can't keep my eyes open. I think it's because I'm awake at 5am every morning, so when I get home at 3:30, I'm ready to rest. Sometimes a 10 min nap works wonders, other times I'm out for 2 hours and it messes up the rest of my evening.

    anyone have a similar experience?

    ReplyDelete
  50. I would be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic. =P

    ReplyDelete
  51. Fear of success is worse than it sounds

    ReplyDelete
  52. Talk about hitting the nail on the head...basically just read a summary of myself

    ReplyDelete